Monday, August 24, 2015

The Line Keeps Moving

Photo courtesy of Nevit Dilmen (Own work) [GFDL or CC-BY-SA-3.0], via Wikimedia Commons

I'm a goal setter. I have yearly reading goals, weekly workout goals, and daily writing goals. I have personal goals, professional goals, and spiritual goals. I'm also an overachiever, meaning once I've set a goal, I feel driven to exceed my own expectations. You would think that with all of this goal-setting and overachieving, I'd feel more accomplished, but I don't. Not really. The satisfaction of meeting a goal comes, but it's fleeting.

That's because the line of success keeps moving.

When I first started writing, I thought I would be happy if I just published a play. Then I needed to publish two plays to confirm that the first one wasn't a fluke. Then I needed to publish one per year to show that I wasn't washed up. Now I need to branch out from youth comedies to prove that I have range.

Prove? To whom? To myself? To you?

Who knows.

What I do know is that the line doesn't care. It doesn't stop to acknowledge my accomplishments. It just keeps moving.

While drawing lines may drive some of us to greater achievements, we must be careful not to let the lines define us.

We must anchor our self-worth in something more stable than shifting expectations.
For people swear by something greater than themselves, and in all their disputes an oath is final for confirmation. So when God desired to show more convincingly to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable character of his purpose, he guaranteed it with an oath, so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us. We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf (Hebrews 6:16-19). 

No comments:

Post a Comment