Monday, June 1, 2015

Christian Cop Out #4 - "This is just how God made me."

Welcome to a series highlighting one of the most offensive trends in modern Christianity. My purpose is not to make us all doubt the sincerity of the people around us, but to encourage us to examine ourselves and ensure that we're not the offenders. Psalm 139:23.


Christian Cop Out #4 - "This is just how God made me."

Yes, God made each of us individuals. We're potent blends of gifts, flaws, talents, and vulnerabilities. Unfortunately, there seems to be a real human pattern of taking personal credit for our strengths and blaming God for our weaknesses.

Along with Lady Gaga, we stomp our feet and belt out the chorus:
I'm beautiful in my way
'Cause God makes no mistakes
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way
Don't hide yourself in regret
Just love yourself and you're set
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way.
Come, now.

Are we really letting a pop star in a meat dress provide the basis for understanding human existence and behavior? Something tells me we're better than that, yet some of us have adopted the mindset that it's somehow acceptable to make our flaws God's fault.

I know I acted like a jerk, but this is just who I am. You know that. Stop being so sensitive. 

I'm sorry I cheated on you. I wish I could be more faithful, but this is the way God made me. If you have a problem, take it up with him.

Don't like my hot temper? Too bad. I was born this way. 

Ridiculous.

God shaped your form and gave you life. He stands ready to teach, mold, and guide you as you submit to his Spirit and acknowledge truth (the first and most basic truth being that you are a sinner in need of grace). He desires to strengthen the weak, lift up the fallen, pull the grieving from the depths of their suffering, and make the crooked straight and the rough places plain.

So stop using God as the excuse for bad behavior. Nobody's buying it but you.

Instead, admit you're wrong and ask for strength to change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment