Monday, June 2, 2014

Something from Nothing



When God chose a nation to communicate his glory to the world, he chose Israel -- a nation that didn't exist. When he chose a man to spread the Gospel across the ancient world and become arguably the greatest missionary of all time, he chose Paul -- a man who didn't believe. 

Such facts shouldn't surprise us. This seems inherent to God's nature -- the ability to create something out of nothing. And if we can learn anything from Scripture, it's that when God wants to do something big, he chooses people not based on their innate worthiness, but on his ability to glorify himself through them.  

This is good news for all of us, because it means that when we are small, broken, insignificant, and seemingly pointless, it will be all the more obvious to others when the power of God works through us.

We must bear in mind not only that God has chosen us, but also that we can choose him back. 

And when we do, he can make something out of our nothing.


* * *
"A Better Resurrection"

I have no wit, no words, no tears;
My heart within me like a stone
Is numbed too much for hopes or fears.
Look right, look left, I dwell alone;
I lift mine eyes, but dimmed with grief
No everlasting hills I see;
My life is in the falling leaf:
O Jesus, quicken me.

My life is like a faded leaf,
My harvest dwindled to a husk:
Truly my life is void and brief
And tedious in the barren dusk;
My life is like a frozen thing,
No bud nor greenness can I see:
Yet rise it shall--the sap of spring;
O Jesus, rise in me.

My life is like a broken bowl,
A broken bowl that cannot hold
One drop of water for my soul
Or cordial in the searching cold;
Cast in the fire the perished thing;
Melt and remould it, till it be
A royal cup for Him, my King:
O Jesus, drink of me.

~Christina Rossetti


No comments:

Post a Comment