Friday, February 14, 2014

Please Say Yes (a hypothetical Valentine's Day proposal)




Please Say Yes
a hypothetical Valentine's Day proposal

If I could take the evening skies
And stuff them deep into my eyes
Or suck the sea into my ears
Or cry spaghetti as my tears;
If I could drink the Serpentine, 
Then would you be my Valentine?

If I could burp a chest of drawers
Or use my toes as row-boat oars
Or climb a ladder with my skin
Or grow a giant dorsal fin;
If I could make a dead star shine,
Then would you be my Valentine?

If I could bake a brilliant moon
Or use a comma as a spoon
Or suck up sunbeams through a straw
Or waltz on rooftops (so bourgeois!);
If I could wrestle Frankenstein,
Then would you be my Valentine?

If I could swim into the past,
Or answer questions never asked,
Or captain small potato boats,
Or juggle cultured mountain goats;
If I brought peace to Palestine,
Then would you be my Valentine?

Please say yes. 



©Ruth Buchanan, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment