Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Why I Don't Make New Year's Resolutions

God makes all things new.
Revelation 21:5
A few years ago, a student interviewed me for a school publication and asked me what my New Year's resolutions were going to be. He quoted me later as having said, "I don't make New Year's Resolutions because when I see something that needs fixed, I try to fix it immediately."

I realize in retrospect that this statement sounds sort of pompous. But it's true.

The world in which I live is all-or-nothing, black-or-white. When I feel convicted that change is necessary, I tend to respond immediately (or writhe in guilt for a few days before responding!) rather than waiting for an arbitrary date to roll around on the calendar.

Because the fact that it's technically a "new" year does not mean that in some mystical way I've suddenly spouted new founts of self-control and determination overnight. 

Let's be honest for a moment: making major change in lifestyle and routine will never be an easy thing, and it's certainly no easier just because the calendar tells us it's time for a "new" year. Major change requires  more than a date on the calendar. It requires conviction, fortitude, emotional stamina, accountability, and grit--the only qualities that will keep you holding the line long after the initial wave of enthusiasm has begun to ebb.

Far be it from me to discourage you from positive change! Instead, let me encourage you to make 2014 the year that you stop making "resolutions" and start making real, determined change as need arises. Instead of relying on yourself to foster change, seek help from above, from the one who made us and who alone is capable of making all things new. 

After all, he created the galaxies. He holds the atoms together. He's preserved the message of the Gospel down through generations. He's kept humanity from destroying one another and published his glory through the universe. 

If he can do those things, he can certainly help you make it to the gym a few times a week. 

2 comments:

  1. If he can do those things, he can certainly help you make it to the gym a few times a week. Ha! Perhaps. :P

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete