Considering my fragile mental state most mornings, I couldn't be quite sure that I hadn't. Still puzzling over the problem, I dumped my school stuff on the table and stomped across our minuscule kitchen to the laundry room, where I discovered that my ears did not deceive me: the washer was indeed cycling, completely empty and with the lid up.
I didn't have far to look for further evidence that my sister had been home in the middle of the day.
- Bottle of vanilla extract on the counter and cookie sheet in the sink.
- Mysterious crumbs on the counter nearest the dishwasher, as if someone stood there eating warm, crumbly cookies straight from the oven and then failed to clean up after herself.
- Three (3!) open/empty soup cans left sitting upright on the bar, still inside a plastic shopping bag, as if someone had carried them in from her car but has chosen not to throw them away... yet.
- Computer plugged back in (disconnected everything this morning before leaving for work due to the aaaaaaaaah!-tons-of-lightning-and-thunder! that accompanied my dash out to the car).
- Headphones plugged into the laptop as if someone has been watching Dr. Who reruns.
- TV/DVD remotes on the sofa, rather than stacked up on the entertainment center where I normally keep them.
- The broken (and Scotch-taped) slat in our horizontal blinds hanging askew: compelling evidence that someone other than me opened/shut the blinds last.
EDIT: Sister says the soup cans are for VBS crafts, the cookies were gross, the vanilla bottle is empty and needs to be washed out, she hasn't touched the blinds, I never put the remotes away, and that she knows that she - for sure - shut the washer off before she went back to work. So go figure.