Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Keeping It Real

The more I have on my mind, the more trouble I seem to have keeping my mind in the present.

As most of you know, when I went back to school this fall, I did so in more ways than one. Not only am I still teaching full time, but I am also pursuing a master's degree in Systematic Theology. Rather out of a desire to get on with it than with any amount of forethought on my part, I blithely registered for 12 credit hours this semester.

I've never been one to ease into things.

Thus far, new schedule keeps me moving along at a good clip, but I don't think it's too much to handle. I'm pinballing through each week, and although I haven't yet missed a deadline or shirked a responsibility, the increased work load is beginning to take its toll in lack of sleep and a general sort of goofy absentmindedness.

On Friday, one of the other teachers noted me standing off by myself in the shade, head tilted to the side, eyes staring, and hand making a continuous circle motion in the air. (I was lost in a haze of critical thinking, trying to figure something out.) She said I looked quite deranged and was concerned that I may have developed a some sort of disorder over the summer.

On Sunday, Bethany handed me a water bottle, and in my half-zoned out state, I attempted to open the wrong end. It was on Sunday that I also rubbed my chapstick repeatedly over my lips, only belatedly realizing that I'd never removed the cap.

Today I kept saying to the kids, "Don't forget that tomorrow's Friday, and--" (It's Wednesday.)

The good news is that the stress dreams have not kicked in yet (although it's only a matter of time). When they do, I'll be sure to keep you posted. The even better news is that I'm enjoying my studies and the new classes added to my teaching roster this year.

2 comments:

  1. Do you know what you want to do once you have your master's?

    ReplyDelete