All Floridians know what June 1 - November 30 means: Hurricane Season! And this year, what with one thing and another, I have put off getting ready. Renting an apartment, we have less to do than actual home owners (maintenance takes care of putting up our shutters, for one thing) but there are still several things we need to take care of ourselves.
What Needs to be Done to Prepare:
1. Stock supply kit with bottled water, non-perishable food items, flashlight, duct tape, etc.
2. Buy batteries for the mini portable TV.
3. Find mini portable TV.
4. Keep stash of cash on hand in case of bank closures. (Note to self: DO NOT SPEND ON CHEESEBURGERS!)
5. Re-stock candles and matches. (Don't forget candle holders this time. Remember the Great Wax Gobs of '05!)
6. Find flashlight(s).
7. Find portable radio.
8. Attempt to force sister to sit down and help make our Family Plan.
9. Endure relentless mocking from said sister.
10. Resist the temptation to eat food from the supply kit until hurricane season is actually over.
What I have done so far:
1. Listened to Hurricane Preparedness public safety announcements on the radio.
2. Made the above list.