Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Troopers

I've been needing new shoes for a while now, but more than merely my dread of shopping has kept me from purchasing a new pair. You see, I more than liked this last pair. I loved them. We had developed a bond that evolves only over long periods of time through shared experiences.

We went to restaurants, church servies, plays, and concerts. Together, we stood through hour after hour and semester after semester of classroom lectures. I felt their support as we stomped up and down sidewalks to the mental soundtrack of Carl Orff. Not even our chiropractor's no-heel mandate could drive us apart!

But then the other day, I felt something strange: only a thin, papery shell remained of what used to give the balls of my feet such firm support. The clicks of my heels had become clacks of bare nail against floor.

Ah, my dears!

Although I did not want to let you go, I could not remain deaf to your cries of pain. I want you to know, that although it may not have seemed so at the time, much thought and care went into choosing your replacements. Don't let those hastily-spent ten minutes at Shoe Carnival fool you.

Goodbye, my loves.

1/26/10: Troopers

6 comments:

  1. Well, if it's just the heels and the soles, have you tried having them fixed? I've done that several times with shoes I loved, and usually it's been quite reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? Tossed out like an old pair of shoes, er, um, yeah.

    Your sandals received last rites and a moving ceremony seaside, if I remember correctly. So, you loved these, but you didn't LOVE them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anna, they weren't really worth it. I think I bought them for $12 in the first place.

    @Joanne, OH, MY FLIP-FLOPS! How I miss them! I bought an identical black pair, but they're just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wear heels at school. My flat feet and bad back would revolt after the first hour! Our dress code is so relaxed that I wore jeans today. Matt so doesn't care what we wear, as long as we're decently covered and SHOW UP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I miss you! I'm glad you found a way to post both places so I can remember to pop over here and read.

    ReplyDelete